top of page

Excogitate Podcast Group

Public·134 members
Lucas Cooper
Lucas Cooper

Terrific Toe-Up Socks: Knit To Fit

Teaching toe-up sock knitting is one of my favourite classes to teach and I created the Have Fun Socks pattern as a freebie. Both to accompany the class and to offer as a free Ravelry download to all those thinking of trying out the wonderful world of toe-up socks. This pattern uses a standard short row heel but - full confession time - if I am knitting for myself I nearly always opt for a Fish Lips Kiss Heel. Obviously I can't infringe copyright and reproduce the pattern myself but I urge anyone who will listen to me to spend the $1 required to obtain this fabulous pattern for themselves.

Terrific Toe-Up Socks: Knit to Fit

I have taught some fairly resistant toe-up sock knitters in my time and one of their chief bugbears is often the fact that a "normal" short row heel doesn't fit very well. The FLK heel overcomes a lot of these difficulties and the additional information provided within the pattern gives you all the information you need to fit socks to the most challenging of feet.

I knit (most of) one sock years ago but they were too large and I never finished it. It seems to me that toe-up socks might be easier to fit, so your tutorial on how to knit socks toe-up might just be the impetus for me to try again!

Gee, there are so many ways of making the toes for socks that you knit. This page is to keep track of the various kinds of toes options that exist for socks knitters. However, for toe-up socks, some of the techniques for casting-on and doing the toes are inextricably linked, I have decided to include both here.

As I love to knit toe-up socks, that is what is covered on this page. Toe-up socks are great in that they allow you to make sure the foot fits before going on to the easier to fit leg portion and it allows you to keep knitting until you run out of yarn. I tend to get nervous that I will run out on yarn on projects. If that happens on toe-up socks, your leg is a bit shorter than you might have wanted, but you still have a usable sock. If it happens on cuff-down traditional socks, you have a lovely leg, but your sock has no toe. The toe-up approach frees me from worry about that happening.

I am a toe-up sock knitter. There are lots of reasons why I made the switch to toe up socks after knitting a few pairs of cuff down socks but the main reason is pretty straightforward. I, and most of the people I knit socks for, have big feet. Working from the toe-up means I can increase until I reach a stitch count that fits at a gauge that will make a comfortable, durable sock.

There are plenty of options for heels to work on toe up socks: heel flaps, short rows, afterthought heels, and all manner or hybrids. I usually go for a heel flap with a gusset because that style fits me the best. Luckily, the math to figure out where to start a gusset is easy-peasy. I do this math for every pair of socks I knit, whether I working from a pattern or making it up on the fly, and it takes less than 5 minutes. Those 5 minutes are worth it to get a great fitting pair of socks.

Yep! You can definitely do toe-up without learning Magic Loop. After you cast on to two DPNs, use a third needle to knit the first round, and then distribute the stitches evenly around three or four needles. Just make sure to mark the beginning of your round.

I had just finished my first pair of toe-up socks that use the Fleegle heel when I got you email about them. Life is good! I have always loved knitting socks, even though I live in Florida, but flap heels socks are a little clunky and slower to knit. You are not only generous with your enthusiasm, you are very talented! Thank you for your wonderful website and video lessons.

Her research is outlined in the book and it's the basis for what amounts to about 100 standard socks patterns fitting children through to adults (with large feet like Xander's) in a range of gauges in both top-down and toe-up configurations AND a guide to knitting the socks that work for any foot you can measure.

I like to knit toe-up socks, with short double pointed needles. I love self-patterning yarns which make small designs. For knit patterns, I prefer solid color yarn because the pattern then shows up best.

A reader inspired another topic. She asked if the addi EasyKnit could be used for toe-up socks, as well as for classic socks. After I tried the little circular needle for classic socks, and reported on my impressions, I decided to see if I could answer her question. And the answer was, yes, it is possible. But for the toe, I used a second circular needle as a helper, since knitting with only a few stitches on the EasyKnit is cumbersome and slow. Now anyone who wants to knit toe-up socks with the EasyKnit can find illustrated instructions and a corresponding size chart on sockshype.

I used to be a cuff down girl. I still knit socks this way on occasion (usually when designing), so I have the stretchy cast-on and kitchener bind off down pat. It took me my first few pairs of toe-up socks to figure out a bind off that works for me.

Toe-up socks are quickly becoming more popular among knitters thanks to their customizable fit, creative possibilities, and other reasons. In this blog post, I will explore six reasons I have devoted all my sock-designing energy to creating toe-up socks, including the most recent ones - Barça Memories Socks.

Sock knitting is the perfect way to practice your skills and my favourite way to experiment with new techniques. It not only gives an immediate sense of accomplishment, but it's also a wonderfully quick project. Given that the traditional methods don't always work for a toe-up sock, if you're looking for that next-level magic, it's precisely why this is a fantastic way to try out alternative cast-on and bind-off methods, interesting shaping approaches and so on.

In summary, toe-up socks are a great way to make unique and creative pairs. With the ease of trying on and adjustable lengths, you can learn new techniques while eliminating leftover yarn. Whether you're an experienced knitter or just starting out, toe-up socks offer numerous benefits that will help bring your knitting skills up to speed!

Hey Fleegle! I stumbled upon this heel for cuff down sox in a Knit Simple magazine and have worked many. I just eye-ball the increases and decreases at this point. I've learned in cuff down that it's nice to knit a couple less rows on the instep, to reduce bulk there. Haven't yet done enough toe-ups to know if I should, but will be experimenting.

It seems to me that your instructions, even the bost you refer us to, leave me stranded halfway through the heel with a number of stitches decreased. I have no idea what to do next to get those stitches back and to knit the second half of the heel. I don't have any friends who knit socks toe-up to help me.

The beauty of knitting toe-up socks is the ability to try on your sock as you go. Is it too loose? Decrease a couple stitches. Too tight? Increase a couple more. Once you're happy, just knit. Turn on some Netflix, grab a tea/coffee/beer, and just knit. This would be a great time to set down your finished toe, grab a second set of needles, and repeat to work the socks concurrently.

Otherwise, having big feet has been more of a problem. Particularly when I knit socks. My first several pairs were so tight across the top of my foot, right above the heel there, that they were unwearable. I'm not a sock knitting expert by any means and all of mine have been knit toe-up. My best fitting socks have been the ones that have gussets and heel flaps. (Technically, I'm not sure if you would still call it a heel flap, because you don't really knit a flap like you do in the traditional cuff down method. But I don't know what else to call it.) I need to be able to try them on and I need to avoid grafting I need to make sure I don't run out of yarn.

I have never knit a toe-up sock with a gusset heel. I have only ever knit one toe up sock. Yep, just one--haven't even started the 2nd sock on that pair. I am now knitting a pair of socks for a friend, and between size 11 feet and her wanting knee socks, I think toe-up is the way to go. Thanks for posting your formula.

Slip this ruler right into your sock while it is still on the needles to easily gauge when to start the toe (or the gusset/heel if you are knitting toe-up socks). With inches, centimeters, US Men/Women, and Euro shoe sizes etched right on, you'll always get a perfect fit!

People with slim feet might find that the standard sock is too loose and saggy around the foot. They will need to reduce the gusset stitches to less than the cast-on number to create a narrower foot that fits better. (If knitting toe-up this will mean they increase from the toe to less stitches than noted in the pattern, and then leave more stitches on the gusset when knitting the leg to allow for width in the leg). 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

bottom of page